Did you know that salt is essential for life? Your body requires it for a variety of essential functions.
Salt is used to transmit information into our nerves and muscles. You need it for proper adrenal function. It’s important for proper digestion as well. And it helps maintain the fluid in out blood cells.
Salt has been a highly prized substance for thousands of years. It’s not until recently that salt has gotten a bad rap. For centuries people would travel great distances to obtain salt, often through trade. Unfortunately, we have lost touch with the importance of salt.
This is important: there is a huge difference between highly processed salt (standard table salt) and whole, unrefined salt.
Salt in its natural form contains important trace minerals that your body needs.
Pure white salt found in processed foods and most salt shakers is refined. All the good stuff it taken away, leaving you with 97.5% sodium chloride. The other 2.5% is potentially dangerous preservatives, added to help your salt pour. White table salt is produced by processing natural salt at high temperatures which alters it’s natural chemical structure and strips it of vital minerals that salt naturally contains. Consuming lots of sodium chloride (white table salt) without the supporting minerals can be harsh to your body.
The moral of the story is to fill your salt shakers with unrefined salts that will support your health. Bake with it. Season your veggies and steak with it. Just use it. Simply salt to taste. Go ahead and use as much (unrefined) salt on your homemade food as your taste buds are asking for.
Here are three fantastic unrefined, high mineral salts you can purchase. Each with their own unique taste and colors. And yes, salt can be colorful!
1) Himalayan Pink Salt: Taken from deep deposits in the Himalayas. It contains 84 trace minerals.
2) Celtic Sea Salt: Contains over 80 minerals from the sea and is traditionally hand harvested from the coast of Brittany, France.
3) Redmond Real Salt: Comes from an ancient sea bed in Central Utah. Contains over 60 trace minerals.
Here is something else to keep in mind. Processed and package foods will almost always contain refined salts, often high amounts. To avoid excess refined salt you will have to avoid excess processed foods! Just one more reason to eat real, whole foods.
Are you ready to make the simple switch to real salt? It’s simple and inexpensive way to add minerals to your diet. You really have nothing to loose and lots to gain!